|(Tested by Otto Graf Institute, Stuttgart German)
DIN Standards Testing 18032 Part 2
The CrossFlex system by Pyramid
Sports Floors features an interlocking lumber sub floor, which
reduces dead spots and maintains uniform ball bounce with
the added benefit of air ventilation. The support cushion
underlayment is resilient, assists with shock absorption and
reduces sound transmissions.
CrossFlex is recommended
for use in gymnasiums that require the ability to withstand
heavy loads including gymnastics and other athletic equipment.
- Submit three PyramidTM Floor System CrossFlexTM
- Submit one sample of PyramidTM Floor System
- Submit three copies of maintenance data for PyramidTM
Delivery, Storage, & Handling
|Materials shall not be delivered, stored, or installed until
all H.V.A.C., masonry, painting, plastering, tile work, marble,
and terrazzo work is completed and all overhead mechanical work,
lighting, backstops, scoreboards are installed. Ideal storage/installation
conditions are the same as those which will prevail when the
building is occupied.
- Maple Flooring: Unfinished, 3/4 x not
over 2 1/4 x 1/4 x RL 2nd and BTR, T&G,
EM, KD, northern hard maple flooring as supplied by Pyramid
Sports Floor Systems.
Note: thickness, width and grade of flooring material
may be altered to suit application.
- Cushions: CrossFlex Sport Floor underlayment
1/4" support Cushions as supplied by Pyramid Sports Floor
- Lumber: Two layers of 1" x 6", #2, K.D.
SPF treated lumber.
- Sealer: PyramidTM or Hillyard
- Floor Finish: PyramidTM or
Hillyard Sport Finish.
- Nails: Purpose designed barbed nails
for power nailing, 2 long as supplied by Pyramid Sports
- Threshold & Reducer Strip: Milled
maple or extruded aluminum of size and profile as required
to reduce level of hardwood floor to meet existing surface.Color
and finish to match.
- Nosing: Rounded maple bullnose. Color
and finish to match.
- Vapor Barrier: 6 mil. polyethylene.
- Vent Cove Base: Vented rubber base as
supplied by Pyramid Sports Floor Systems.
|No alternatives or deviations from specifications are allowed.
- Do not install floor system until concrete is dry and
has been cured a minimum of 60 days and the requirements
listed above in paragraph 2 are obtained.
- Maintain ambient temperature of not less than 50ēF (10ēC),
not more than 70ēF (21ēC). from 72 hours before installation
to at least 48 hours after completion of work.Maintain 40%
relative humidity during the same period.
- All finish flooring shall be stored in the building of
application a minimum of 14 days before installation under
proper and protected ventilation.
- After floors are finished, area to be kept locked by general
contractor to allow curing time for the finish.
- Ensure substrate is dry prior to installation.
- Inspect floor for levelness before installation.Tolerance
not to exceed ⅛ over 10. The sub floor
must be sound and properly prepared. Report discrepancies
to owner/specifier for rectification.
- Install polyethylene with joints lapped a minimum of 4
and seal with sealant or adhesive.
- Cover polyethylene with support cushion.
- Install the first layer of 1x6 SPF lumber at a 25 degree
angle to the long dimension of the playing
area. The ends of the 1x6 shall be butted leaving a space
of ŧ space. Adjoining 1x6
in the first layer shall be side spaced 4. Provide 2 expansion
voids at the perimeter and at
all vertical obstructions.
- Install the upper layer of 1x6 lumber in the opposite
direction to the first, again at a 25 degree
angle to the playing area. Ensure no end joints in the second
layer fall on an end joint in the
first layer. Butted ends shall be spaced ŧ. Adjoining 1x6
boards in the second layer shall
be side spaced 2 apart, and secured to the first layer
with nails or staples at each intersection.
Install a single 1x6 boarder strip as part of the second
layer of subflooring, at right
angles to the finished flooring, at the perimeter of the
- Machine nail maple flooring parallel to the longer dimension
of the playing area providing proper
spacing for humidity conditions in the specific region.
- To help accommodate heavy weight loads, 1x 6 subfloor
may be moved to Ŋ on top and 2
Sanding & Finishing
- After installation is complete, sand wood-strip flooring
with Hummel Belt Sander, edger and hand scraper. Use coarse,
medium, and fine grades of sandpaper to produce a uniform,
even and smooth surface. Sandpaper must be continuous from
factory and not joined on job-site. Drum sanders may not
- After sanding with belt sander, buff entire floor using
a 100-grit screen with a heavy duty buffing machine.
- After sanding, remove dust and dirt off all floor surfaces.
Use an industrial vacuum cleaner.
- Apply game lines.
- Compatible court marking paint must be used to PyramidTM
and Hillyard Sport Finish.
- Floor to present a smooth surface without stop marks,
gouges, streaks, or shiner.
- Apply one coat of PyramidTM Sport Sealer.
- Buff with brown pads.
- Apply one coat of PyramidTM Sport Finish.
- Buff with a maroon pad cushioned with a green pad.
- Abrade first finish coat using a maroon pad cushioned
with a green pad.
- Install wear indicators at center jump circle, free throw
lines and at all entries.
- Apply two additional coats of PyramidTM Sport
- Install vented rubber base.
- Clean up all unused materials and debris and remove same
- Upon completion of the floor installation, the owner,
attendant or individuals responsible for the maintenance
of the building are to follow the guidelines supplied by
Pyramid Sports Floor Systems for hardwood flooring maintenance.
- Areas of wood floor installation must be adequately ventilated
with natural or mechanical air circulation. Temperature
and humidity controls must be operational all year and employed
as required in the region of installation.
- Guarantee shall not cover damage in the whole or in part
by casualty, ordinary wear and tear, abuse,
use for which materials are not designed, faulty construction
of the building, settlement
of the building walls, failure of the other contractors
to adhere to specifications, separation
of the concrete slab and excessive dryness or excessive
moisture from humidity, spillage,
migration though the slab or wall, or any other source.
Abuse, vandalism, neglect, improper
installation or maintenance procedures will negate all guarantees.
- Pyramid Sports Floor Systems hereby warrants the PyramidTM
Floor System CrossFlexTM material
to be free from manufacturing defects for a period of one
year. This warranty is in lieu of
all other warranties, expressed or implied, including but
not limited to any warranty of merchantability
or fitness for a particular purpose, and of any other obligations
on the part of Pyramid
Sports Floor Systems. If any components are not supplied
by Pyramid Sports Floor Systems,
all warranties are rendered null and void. In the event
of breach of any warranty, the liability
of Pyramid Sports Floor Systems shall be limited to repairing
or replacing PyramidTM Floor
System CrossFlexTM material and system components
supplied by Pyramid Sports Floor
Systems proven to be defective in manufacture, and shall
not include any other damages, either
direct or consequential.
- A PyramidTM Sports Floor Identification Marker
must be installed in a corner of the floor to verify
authenticity of flooring system.